Because The A.V. Club knows that TV shows keep going even if we’re not writing at length about them, we’re experimenting with discussion posts. For certain shows, one of our TV writers will publish some brief thoughts about the latest episode, and open the comments for readers to share theirs.
- Caroline and Alaric bring the police into the hunt for Celine and the twins, which is an interesting choice. Has anyone on this show actively sought out police help before from a police force not in the know about the supernatural?
- Bonnie and Enzo are briefly happy, so that means everything needs to immediately go sideways and Enzo needs to get put back under Sybil’s control again. Like Bonnie would ever be able to catch a break. (And why is she doing this? She certainly never seems like it’s necessary during her own scenes. So the answer apparently is…because.)
- Damon might be struggling with his humanity but he didn’t seem very pleased with Celine’s plan to offer the twins to Cade as some sort of twisted “get out of hell free” card.
- “Congrats, mate. You’re about to have a tour of some very dark places.” I’d read that fanfic.
- The Amber Alert scene is pretty great. I was recently in a restaurant when one came through and the sound of that many phones blaring the alert at one time is ALARMING.
- So Celine’s plan is to keep the twins for a decade to groom them properly? And she expects to easily do this without their parents tracking her down when she’s almost been caught twice in 24 hours? Good plan, Celine.
- “I’m not sure which one of you to kiss first.” I’d also read that fanfic.
- Alaric has every right to be angry that his children are constantly in danger, but he’s sort of forgetting that they are magic all on their own, and Caroline and her vampire friends don’t really have anything to do with that. Maybe don’t procreate with a powerful witch if you don’t want powerful witch children. Also Caroline is the reason the twins even exist! Harsh, Ric.
- Stefan decides to go all broody John McClane and take the situation in his hands completely. Way to completely push Caroline out of the rescue mission for her children so once again she can sit on the sideline and have angst-filled conversations instead of actively driving the action.
- Sybil offers up the Salvatore brothers in place of the twins and of course Stefan agrees. This feels awfully familiar…
- Matt and Alaric teaming up to take Damon out is sort of frustrating, sort of exciting. I miss Alaric and Damon’s friendship, but at least he has some sort of personality again. (And no way is Damon actually permanently dead, anyway.)
- Bonnie and Enzo are still the best thing about this season. Definitely didn’t see that coming.