Because The A.V. Club knows that TV shows keep going even if we’re not writing at length about them, we’re experimenting with discussion posts. For certain shows, one of our TV writers will publish some brief thoughts about the latest episode, and open the comments for readers to share theirs.
- It feels appropriate to return to Miss Mystic Falls in the final season, but I can’t believe there are enough people left living in Mystic Falls to populate this party considering everything that’s happened in that damn town. Did everyone just come back after being exiled from town for months that one time?
- Last season TVD twisted itself into knots trying to convince us that Damon was unequivocally the bad brother, and yet now they have him as the one resisting Sybil’s mind control while Stefan goes on a Ripper spree. It makes last year’s plot even more annoying in hindsight. They’re both evil! It’s a show about vampires! So that’s okay!
- Enzo’s “break this and drink if you’re dying” necklace is very romantic. And creepy. But it gives Bonnie and Enzo a great little storyline that pretty honestly (if quickly) explores what happens when an immortal falls in love with a human.
- “Take it from me, Elena Gilbert never really goes away.” Oh, Stefan. We all know.
- I’ve completely lost the thread as to why Sybil wants this magical super bell of magic so much, but Damon clocking her over the head with the striker was pretty darn satisfying since it was the only thing that shut her up in the entire episode.
- Matt’s family is the only one who can ring the bell. It’s respectable that the show is finally giving Matt a storyline that ties into the main plot, but the construction of it—and the tie-in to the relationship with his suddenly appearing father—feels a bit tossed-off. As most of Matt’s stories sadly do.
- This is the best Caroline has been written in quite a while. It’s like she finally woke up after being in a Stefan-induced coma for two seasons.
- Wait, the cure still exists? Does anyone remember where that bit of mythology left off, because I am drawing a blank.